Monday, February 13, 2017

Textual poaching

My artistic piece that i am engaging with is the Indiana Jones. I've always loved the movies, and Harrison Ford's portrayal of this iconic character- with his whip, hat, and leather jacket.




Me and my whip!



The smolder.



Falling! Aaaaah!

For this textual poaching I decided to use this character and upload a series of photos of me in similar action shots. The relationship between me and the character is that- I am an actor! I am a Male! and I have a leather Jacket!
I found that as I approached these photos I found myself uncomfortable with the amount of chest that is visible in the iconic moments. Being raised in the LDS faith I have been taught that modesty is one of the ways we show respect to ourselves and to our God. It was interesting in this project to find that my own sensibilities crept in and maintained my standards.
Modesty is often only associated with the female body- it was refreshing to have to grapple with my own modesty as a man and balance that with the expectations of the character, the fan base, and the world at large- because, really, who cares if a man exposes his nipples?
If I were to adapt this project to my classroom- I would have them adapt a popular character from film- or even theatre in general, and have them translate them into a different culture. For example- Arthur in a Jewish culture, or Iron man the Japanese samurai. I would explore what choices they made to adapt the character to the culture and I would stress the importance of respectfully representing the other cultures being explored.

1 comment:

  1. Cool images! A few points were docked because the pictures weren't created new for this project. I enjoyed the comments you made about your identity as a man and dealing with the standards of modesty, what kind impacts do you think this movie had on you as someone who grew up loving it?

    ReplyDelete