Sunday, January 29, 2017

Medium Specificity

Facebook- Video
Facebook- picture compilation
Facebook- Picture promo

What I created is a series of advertisements for my upcoming production. I used Facebook as the media platform because I wanted to reach an audience that is bigger than the one I can reach with work of mouth advertising. What I created functions as a celebration of the platform I chose. In Facebook, it is common to see images, words, emojies, and video clips- and so I used all of these forms in my communication.
http://img.memecdn.com/i-can-instantly-find-reposts-because_o_1036148.jpg
Along with being a celebration of Facebook,
http://www.couragerenewal.org/wpccr/wp-content/uploads/facebookparty.png my work is a slight commentary on the platform as a whole. Because I am using social media as an advertising platform I am limited- by the copyright issues connected with the work I'm producing, and by the platform itself. Because the work I am producing doesn't have the copyright necessary to advertise broadly I cannot state the name of the show I am working on nor can I state the body of work that it is based off of. Another way that I am limited is in the length of the video I can present to Facebook. It would be impractical to post an entire 40 min video of the production on Facebook for several reasons, two of which being:
1. buffering time constraints
https://img.memecdn.com/ain-amp-039-t-nobody-got-time-for-that_o_1582005.jpg
2. user attention spans.  

So, overall- I'd say Facebook is a good place to do this kind of advertising- IF you know how, and IF you follow the copyright rules so as to not get in trouble!
:D

1 comment:

  1. Nice comments on the affordances and limitations of facebook. What does your project itself say about the medium?

    ReplyDelete