Sunday, January 22, 2017

- Digital and Social Media Adaptation

Ode to an Orange-1
Ode to an orange 2
Ode to an Orange 3
Ode to and Orange 4

The adaptation of this assignment in my theatre classroom would be interesting. Most of the texts we interact with in a drama classroom are meant for theatrical representation- and so they would easily lend themselves to a social media platform.
I can see a complex twitter feed being devoted to Crucible, or some sort of video blog about the music man. The interesting thing would be to try to reverse the process and take something presented on social media and then translate it onto the stage. I think about that one commercial-

Where we have classically trained actors performing newsfeed updates, and texts.

If the end goal for this project of turning a text (poem, image, story, etc.) into a social media post- would be to then take a social media post and transform it to the theatre I would super get behind this exercise.
I would also LOVE to apply this technique to my history classroom. Taking historic records and texts and translating them (while maintaining their integrity) to modern social media would be a fun way to engage with history.

This seems to be a project mostly geared to English education but, I would like to see it adapted to theatre. Taking, for example, a performance as our original text and then translate it to social media would be a great way for students to synthesize and analyze the important elements of a production.

Overall I see this as a beneficial project.  I look forward to including this in my future curriculum.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed your video example. How could you have expanded the pictures you took to follow more with the stories structure?

    ReplyDelete